How do you edit a compound path in Illustrator?
Release or edit a compound path:
- Select Object > Compound Path > Release.
- Or edit by isolating the compound path: double click it or find it on the Layers Panel.
How do you unify a path in Illustrator?
You use the Pathfinder panel (Window > Pathfinder) to combine objects into new shapes. Use the top row of buttons in the panel to make paths or compound paths. To make compound shapes, use the buttons in those rows while pressing the Alt or Option key.
Can you fill a compound path in Illustrator?
Press “V” to activate the Selection tool and click the compound path you wish to fill. If you have not created your compound path yet, hold the “Ctrl” key and click multiple shapes. Right-click the selection and choose “Make Compound Path.”
How do you make a compound path?
To make a compound path, do the following:
- Draw two shapes. Make one smaller than the other. …
- Select both shapes and choose Object>Compound Paths>Make. Where the two shapes overlap, the compound path is transparent. …
- Edit the individual shapes in the compound path with the direct selection tool.
How do I fix lines in Illustrator?
To make a correction to a line you created with the Pen tool, follow these steps:
- Choose Select→Deselect to make sure that no objects are selected.
- Select the Direct Selection tool from the Tools panel. …
- Click an anchor to select one point on the line. …
- Click and drag the anchor point with the Direct Selection tool.
How do you unlock compound path in Illustrator?
To release a compound path you select the object and choose Object > Compound Path > Release from the menu. That will result in a path for each area of the compound path. The ONLY way to release a compound path and get one path is if you started with one path before making the compound path.
Why is clipping mask not working in Illustrator?
You need a single path to create a clipping mask. You can’t use a group of objects or objects with effects etc (the effects would be disregarded anyway). Simple fix: Select all of your circles and create a compound path (Object → Compound Path → Make or Ctrl / cmd + 8 ).
What is the difference between a path and a compound path in Illustrator?
The main difference is that Compound Paths are “flat” or destructive. Meaning once you combine multiple paths into one, your ability to edit the paths is limited. Compound Shapes are non-destructive and provide a different level of editing. Each have pros and cons, so both are needed in Illustrator.
Why can’t I join lines in Illustrator?
“To join, you must select two open endpoints. If they are not on the same path, they cannot be on text paths nor inside graphs, and if both of them are grouped, they must be in the same group.”
How do you convert a compound path to a shape?
Select the compound path object and from the menu select Object>Compound Path>Release. This should make the “holes” in your object separate objects and the same color as the object. Ungroup if necessary. Select the six new shapes (the page edges) and fill them with white.
Why is fill not working illustrator?
The problem is that the shape in your AI file is not actually a closed shape, but separate paths, so you can’t just change the fill attribute. You can avoid this by using the Rounded Rectangle tool to make a closed path instead.
How do I fill a path in Illustrator?
Apply a fill color
Select the object using the Selection tool ( ) or the Direct Selection tool ( ). Click the Fill box in the Tools panel, the Properties panel, or the Color panel to indicate that you want to apply a fill rather than a stroke. Apply a fill color using the Tools panel or the Properties panel.
How do you fill a clipping path in Illustrator?
Hide parts of objects with a clipping mask
- Create the object you want to use as the mask. This object is called the clipping path. …
- Move the clipping path above the objects you want to mask in the stacking order.
- Select the clipping path and the objects you want to mask.
- Choose Object > Clipping Mask > Make. Note: